Whitefish has been called the recreation capital of Montana for good reason
With its covered sidewalk main street leading to the cultural arts center, historic depot museum and public library, this quaint, picturesque western town filled with restaurants, shopping and night life offers visitors a change from the fast-paced, hustle and bustle of urban life.
Glacier National Park is just 35 miles away – one of the most scenic places to visit in any season.
Cool evenings and warm, long, sunny days are Montana’s signature summer weather allowing for a wide variety of adventures.
Its Northern Rockies location, adjacent to the peaks of Glacier National Park, Big Mountain Resort and the Whitefish Range, is comprised of numerous lakes, wild and scenic rivers and an enormous valley that stretches 60 square miles and features Flathead Lake, the largest natural freshwater lake west of the Mississippi.
Find excitement in summer activities such as:
- Golf at 10+ Public and Private Courses
- Water-ski or Wake Surf- 260+ Lakes in the Flathead Valley
- Hike, Bike, or Horseback Ride on 4,700 sq miles of Public Lands
- Fly fish or Whitewater raft on 3 pristine rivers flowing out of Glacier National Park
An abundance of snow with a world-class ski resort minutes from town makes for an incredible menu of winter activities.
A free public shuttle bus, supported by local businesses, runs from downtown to the heart of the ski resort.
Whitefish has among the closest direct air service into a mountain ski town in the U.S – just 11 miles.
Stay active during the winter by partaking in outdoor activities such as:
- Alpine and back-country skiing at world class resorts
- X-Country ski, snow shoe, or ice skate across public lands
- Dog sled or take sleigh rides with local farms
- Snowmobile or ice fish!
Get used to beautiful long summer days, fall colors, spring hikes and cozy winter days. Whitefish brings all four seasons.
- Average annual high (°F) 53.4º
- Average annual low 31.2º
- Average January high 29º
- Average January low 16º
- Average July high 81º
- Average July low 49º
- Average annual rain precipitation 20.5 in
- Average annual snowfall 65 in
Data Obtained from Whitefish Chamber of Commerce
Whitefish Cost Of Living
- Composite index 111.8%
- Groceries 105%
- Housing 159%
- Utilities 81%
- Transportation 75%
- Health care 98%
- Misc. goods/services 101%
If you have more questions about Whitefish or the surrounding area, please visit Whitefish Chamber of Commerce.